On the 29th December 2009 our news blog with over 2000 entries was taken down by blogger on suspicion of it being a `spamblog`. Whether this was as a result of malicious intent by persons unknown (well, we know perfectly well who they are, but you know what I mean), or as a result of over zealous spambots. However at the CFZ we like to take inspiration from the best, and so - like London's Windmill Theatre who presented nude tableaux vivant throughout WW2 - We Never Close!

Herewith the temporary News Blog.

Monday, 4 January 2010

Firefighters battle blaze, and many, many pythons

Firefighters trying to control a trailer fire in southern Utah discovered they had an unexpected further problem to contend with: lots of snakes.

Tom Phillips

Kristeen Checketts, the animal control officer in St. George, Utah, said there were about 19 pet pythons in the trailer when it caught fire Thursday morning at a park for recreational vehicles.

Once the fire was put out, Checketts and firefighters began pulling out snake after snake - most of them in cages, and some up to 18 feet (5.5 meters) long.

Checketts says 11of the reptiles survived, according to The Spectrum newspaper.

The snakes' owner tried to revive another by massaging it and blowing into its mouth through a plastic pipe.

Fire Captain Jason Whipple says the accidental fire started with a heat lamp in one of the snake cages.


1 comment:

  1. This is as good a reason as any for governments to impose a total ban on people keeping snakes and other reptiles (particularly dangerous and some times lethal ones) in residential property. Fire fighters have a dangerous enough job, without extra risks being added to it.